Wednesday, August 02, 2006

prayer requests

In my last couple of posts, I think I have probably painted a very rosy picture on my first week here, and thankfully, most things have gone extremely well and the Lord has blessed this transition (so far : ). However, it has not been without its low points, and already I have had some frustrations with the culture and various things that have happened (or not happened). One (more important) of these I really wanted to ask you to pray about.

The first few weeks of May I shipped 2 large M-bags filled with smaller boxes of books, music and curriculum to Thailand. I had to ship them very early in order to get the cheapest (and only affordable!) rate. They said that it would take 2-3 months to get here; however, they could not guarantee that they would arrive at all, and people at ICS said it was not uncommon for books in M-bags to get damaged, lost or stolen. I took the risk, as I had a lot of materials I wanted to have with me in Thailand. I boxed them up very carefully and recorded everything I put in each box in case anything happened, then Laurel and I prayed that they would arrive safely.

Well, one M-bag arrived (apparently around a month ago), the other did not. Some people at the school said that, in the past, bags that were shipped at the same time did not necessarily arrive at the same time, but I'm concerned that since it's been a whole month since the other arrived, my one M-bag is gone. When I looked to see what was in those missing boxes, I discovered that while many books are replaceable (although they wouldn't be my books that special friends, etc. had given to me) there were some irreplaceable things in the mix, as well as several things (curriculum and such) that I had planned on using heavily from the beginning of the school year. I'm trying not to be too upset about it yet, but the whole thing is very discouraging and well, upsetting. Would you please pray that God would somehow get those boxes here? I feel like I need a miracle at this point. Fortunately, I trust in a God who's good at doing the miraculous. : )

Please also pray for my attitude in all this. I was praying through a long list of frustrations the other night, placing each one of them in the Lord's hands. I know God is soveriegn in all of these situations - that He actually ordained for these things to happen this way. I just don't know if He ordained these problems so He could display His greatness by doing amazing things on my behalf or if He has another purpose in mind. I believe that He is able to answer all of my prayers and meet all of my needs in the way that I am (hopefully humbly) asking Him to meet them. However, I also know that He may not want to answer my prayers in the way that seems best to me. He may want me to "get over" not having the things I'm used to having and learn to live without certain resources or teaching materials. He may want me to change or be more flexible or patient or less attached to "things". I don't know...but please pray that I will be able to gladly, thankfully accept whatever He does provide and be able to trust Him with the rest.

Thank you once more for praying. I really wish I had the time to write (and you had the time to read!) all the many little (and big) things that God is doing here.

9 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Catherine!!! I know how much those books meant to you, I watched you pack them up! But don't get too discouraged! Those special books that friends gave you are only material things. Just look at it like God lent them to you from his great library of books and now the due date is here and you have to return them whether you've gotten what you needed out of them or not! And don't fret about the teaching materials. You are the best teacher I know and I know that you will be able to come up with a GREAT lesson plan dispite not having what you thought you would. Who knows, maybe those things won't actually be what you need to reach these kids anyway?
Don't misunderstand me, I will be praying for those boxes to be returned because I know what a comfort that would be, but whether they do or not, You are there safely and have the right heart about all of this and God will bless you for that!
I love you soo much my darling!
Meg

 
At 4:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Catherine,

Watch God work out a teaching plan for you, and dont fret. The Lord is mightier than an Mbag of material and the Thai mail sevice and He knows what you really need to teach your classes.

I will be praying that you will receive the Mbag in His time.

love, helen

 
At 6:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Catherine, Mom told me there was lots to read on your blog, so I'm glad I caught up. You've been in my thoughts and prayers much since I saw you a month ago, so it was great to "catch up."
Certainly I will pray for your curriculum. Realize and be encouraged also that your willing heart to be molded by Christ is a testimony to all of us who have the privilidge in sharing some of this great adventure with you-however far away we are.
I will continue to lift you up before the Father.
Love you tons!
Paula
Ps - No baby yet. Pray for patience (with Ethan and with waiting). I'll be in touch about all that soon-hopefully! It is comforting to know one can't be pregnant forever (even if it feels like forever! =).

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog!!! I've been thinking of you and praying for you! I found a picture from Run to the Sun that I would love to send to you! I'll be praying that your other bag arrives!
Allison

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine ~
It was great to have your Dad back today, but I know you must be missing him and the rest of your family (yes, it WILL get better!).
Your friends in Music Ministry have been praying for you this week, and your Pinewood Church family prayed for you this morning at the 11 AM Service(especially for a wonderful cello and for that missing m-bag!). Nothing else new to say but just wanted you to know that you're thought of often and prayed for often!
In His Love,
Leslie

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Phoebe said...

Catherine,

I love you, and I'm praying for you as you begin the long adjusting process! Did I mention that I love you? Well, I do. :)

~Phoebe

(More substance and profundity at a later time, when I have rediscovered your e-mail address!)

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger Kim said...

Have faith. I have never had anything go missing in 8 years...sometimes they just get delayed. Hang in there, God knows what things you need. I look for you tomorrow at Open House!

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Bug58_2020 said...

Catherine,

I realize it's been a month since you posted this, but have the rest of your things shown up?

If not, find comfort in knowing God has placed them in the hands of someone who needed them more, and the only way He could get them into their hands was in this manner.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Bug58_2020 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home