Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thais on the beach



It was very humorous observing the differences between Thais and "Farong" (and even the extremes of Thais and Europeans) when it came their response to the sun. All the Europeans were out in the sun with their bikinis and speedos, especially in the middle of the day, trying to soak up as much sun as possible (and most of them were sun-burnt!). The Thais, however, wouldn't hardly come outside or out from under the shade until after 5:00 and then when they went swimming, most of them went in the ocean fully dressed (with swim-suits underneath). They are so afriad of getting darker than they already are!

It was funny coming back to school on Tuesday and seeing my students' response to me. I was, of course, very sunburnt, despite my attempts to avoid it by putting on lots of SPF 45 sunblock, wearing a t-shirt and not swimming much in the middle of the day. My students kept asking me why I was so red. One 3rd grader, Praise, really didn't seem to understand it. I told her that many farongs get red when they stay in the sun too long and that she should feel blessed that the Lord created her to be Thai so that she never gets sunburnt. She looked so baffled!



Also funny were the options for fillings at the crepe stand on the beach. Not sure if the print is large enough to read it very well, but you could get blueberry, strawberry jam, shredded pork, cashew nuts, squid with chili, raisin, ham, steamed eustara (I don't even know what that is!), sausage, chocolate, tuna, banana - in that order! - or any combination of those. As I waited to order my chocolate-banana crepe, I noticed the person in front of me had them put banana, ham and chocolate on hers. Ugh!

3 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUM! Crepes are some of my favorite street food here in Germany - I particularly like cinnamon sugar (zimt-zucker), but you would love nutella-banana crepes! I am so excited to learn that they have crepes on the beach in Thailand! Now I'm DEFINITELY coming to visit ... :) (elizabeth)

 
At 9:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ewww. I can just see it now me daring Clint to go to go to Thailand and try a Squid and chili, bananna, chocolate, and strawberry crepe(with all these mixed together). Ha. Anyway, that sounds like a total adventure to me!
Love ya,
<3 Rachel <3

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

OK, I'm DYING to know what eustara is!!! I Googled it and can't even come up with anything. I checked the word out in Spanish, French and Italian (because I found it used in a blog which turned out to be Italian, but I didn't realize that at first) and it isn't in ANY of these dictionaries. I'm thinking it is oysters. Not that knowing that would make it any more appetizing! I'm SO glad you are having fun and getting out. I've been praying for that! Looking forward to hearing more about what God is doing with you.
Love, Lisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home