Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas worship and outreach

This morning the MTW team worship was so wonderful! It was the first time since I've been there that we've had communion (which I've really missed - they may have done it this fall, but I just wasn't there) and Dave preached which is always very good and makes me come away wanting to spend more time with Christ. The music was really great today too! Since I arrived, Crystal, Tim and I have been on a rotation for planning and leading the musical worship for the morning services. In the last month, we've also had Ren, one of the Thai interns that goes to the Bangkok Bible College/Seminary, lead Thai songs in addition to the English songs. So our service today ended up fairly long with 6 English songs/hymns (not counting the Doxology) and 4 Thai songs; the usual call to worship, confessions, assurance of pardon and prayers; children's catechism (which is another exciting thing we've recently started to do to teach the kids on the team solid doctrine); a full sermon and celebration of the Lord's Supper. But it was all so good and rich and special that I don't think anyone felt like it was too long.

The music was especially good and special today, I think. This morning it was my turn to plan and lead, but after picking out the songs (many Christmas carols), I asked several of the others to join me to play. For the first few we had me on guitar, Mot (another Thai intern) on Tim's new djembe-type drum and Tim on penny whistle. I combined two of the songs in a kind of medley - and as I thought of how to combine them musically and thematically, I felt like so much like my dad. And though it wasn't nearly as complex or fancy (or practiced!) as what Dad always plans and does at Pinewood, I felt like I had a part of him and a part of Pinewood with me this morning as we worshipped (which is a special gift from God because I've been so homesick these last few weeks!) I also brought my cello for the first time to the office today and at the end of the service, Ren and I played "What Child is This?" (my mom's favorite Christmas carol; this time around as I looked at and cried over the words in the Trinity Hymnal version, I realized why). Ren is such an amazing guitarist and I think having the cello there made many of the team members feel like they were at their home churches, which is what I hoped and prayed for as I know they are all also struggling with great homesickness at this time. It was so good (and sanuk mak! : ) to make music with other people again - which I haven't done enough of outside of school since being here. Tim and I talked afterward and we hope to do more of that in the future.

Also exciting today was that we had 8 new Thai faces in our midst! Yesterday we all went to the Maahaathai (slum) community that is near the office for a special Christmas outreach. Dave and several others have gone weekly ever since Halley got the doors open for ministry there last spring, but yesterday was the first time I had ever been. It was such a blessing! Many kids came while their parents stood on the outskirts to watch all that we were doing. We played some games, Ren and I lead a few songs, many of the other team members acted out the Christmas story complete with costumes and props, and Dave and Mot shared the message of Christmas (I think! I couldn't understand everything because it was all in Thai!). Then we handed out bags of little toys and goodies and tangerines to everyone that came. The children were so precious, so beautiful! A few of them shared their talents with us as they played traditional Thai string instruments. Dave mentioned yesterday that he'd like to start going over there on Saturday and Sunday mornings with a taxi or truck and inviting any kids who want to come over and join us for JOY Kids and Sunday worship. He did it for the first time today and 8 kids came. They joined us for worship and then we took them out for lunch at the market (where about half the team goes every week) afterwards. It's so exciting to see all that God is doing to build His church here in Thailand!

2 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww thats soooo cool what a blessing! Well I hope that brightened you time in Thailand before you come home! (by which...I'm sooooo excited! Well I've got to go to church! BB4N!
Love ya,
~Rachel~<3

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Catherine. What a blessing God has rained down. May many Thai people come to praise Him SOON! Love, Elizabeth (in Germany)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home