Saturday, March 24, 2007

Maahathai

I think I'm falling in love. Dave warned me repeatedly that it would happen - "these kids will steal your heart if you keep coming," he said - and they are! They are keeping me up at night (mainly because I'm too excited to fall asleep after I see them!), making me smile ear to ear while simultaneously causing my heart to ache and are filling my prayers and thoughts. In many ways they are giving me a fresh vision and purpose for being in Thailand. Yes, they are slowly "stealing" my heart.

3 weeks ago, after sensing God speaking to me all week regarding mercy ministry (from many different places: music I was listening to, the book I was reading, my Bible studying of the week) and the importance He places on it in His Word, I called up Dave (Veldhorst, MTW team leader and my pastor) and asked if I go with him to the Maahathai neighborhood the next day for one of their weekly visits. The team has been working in the "Maahathai 3" neighborhood/slum (Dave prefers to call it a "community") for almost a year now, ever since Halley (an MTW intern last year) researched opportunities for mercy ministry in the area and got her foot in the door. I really didn't know what to expect in going - and I really didn't think I would be of any use to their work there due to the fact that I know so little Thai - but I really felt God encouraging me to go. Within the first hour of being with those children, I knew that was where I needed to be every Saturday afternoon - for them and for me. They are some of the sweetest children I've ever met. Upon arrival, they all rushed out to the taxi and greeted us with a wai and curtsey. They helped set up chairs and everything in the little building we use as a meeting place and were so grateful for any thing given to them (a small prize for answering a question, a yogurt drink/snack, even a pencil to use for the lesson!). And - my favorite thing! - they are so hungry for love that they quickly embraced us and even touched me, nestling close and holding my hand. My heart didn't stand a chance! : )

And - praise God! - He had/has a job for me there and showed me a need that I could meet! Dave asked me to lead English songs and then later (after the Thai songs and Bible lesson, a game and snack) I taught the older kids their English lesson. It meets a need, I think, because the other two people who go with us, Ren and Dang (who are both SO much fun!! They are Thai interns from the Bangkok Bible College and Seminary), don't know English very well, so I can provide correct pronunciations of English words and explanations of English grammar. This also, I think, frees Dave up to go and visit with the adults and walk around the neighborhood while we work with the kids. So I think I've actually been able to bless these children, even as they bless me so much.

It's just so much fun too! Who would have ever thought that being with them would be one of the main highlights of my week?! They make me so excited about what God is doing here and cause me to dream about my involvement in it!

Today I brought my camera to Maahathai. I actually didn't have it long as Fern borrowed it for most of the time to take pictures of everyone. She took some good ones too. Here are some portraits of the kids who rock my world...



2 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. :) How fun! I am so glad that you are doing this! It makes me :) ! Anyway, keep writing about this b/c reading your blog is one of the highlights of my week! Well, I'm so glad that you had a ton of fun with the little children, and that they too, are starting to love you!
Love,
~Rachel~

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See Catherine? Though you intentionally went to Thailand for the school and not as a ministry (though it is on th side) God didn't leave you out of His ministry. I'm so glad that the Lord has worked a way for you to continue His ministry in this way. God is awesome and knows our hearts better than we do! =)
Love you and miss you so much!
Tara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home