Sunday, August 13, 2006

Lord's Day

Yesterday on the phone with home, Mom and Dad said that several of you have been asking why I haven’t posted in a while. I was amazed that people actually wanted to read my wordy posts! Part of the problem (as you can see from the last few) is that I have been able to write things on my laptop in my apartment, but then it takes me awhile to get online to actually post them. After so many long posts in a row now, you’ll probably regret asking, but I thought I’d go ahead and share about today nonetheless!

Today was a good day. I had invited several of my new friends/fellow teachers to come to church (MTW team worship) with me and this morning 3 came: Jen, Brett (Elementary art/computer teacher) and La (Brett’s Thai girlfriend). It was great having them along, though I’m not sure what they thought: it is very different than the more charismatic, “contemporary”, younger-generation, less “deep” and/or gospel-centered (in a sense) churches that several of the other teachers go in Bangkok (all not good terms to describe the other churches around here, but maybe you get the idea?). Brett seemed encouraged by the depth of the worship and the preaching of grace; I really don’t know what Jen thought or how much La could understand. But I was encouraged to have them there regardless and was myself encouraged by the service.

Their presence started some discussion amongst Dave, Kim and I of the possibility of moving MTW’s English worship to ICS’s campus. I have no idea how great the potential of this is or how I should even go about inquiring about it at school, but it got me wondering if that might be one of the reasons God might have brought me here: to serve as a liaison between the faculty and students at ICS and the MTW church-plant. At the very least, perhaps the Lord will use me to continue to bring the teachers and students here into contact with the gospel-centered worship I’ve found. Please keep this all in your prayers.

After church, Jen, Brett, La and I went to Rama IX park where we enjoyed a walk through the beautiful gardens and ate lunch. I spent the rest of the afternoon taking a nap and reading my Bible, then went over to the Veldhorst’s for games and dinner. I really felt at home there as well. It was so good playing games with their children (James – 15, Katy – 13, Jonathan – 10, Becca – 7 and Nick – 6) – it was like playing with all my siblings at home! – and getting to know them all better. All in all, it was a wonderful day of worship, rest and fellowship.

Funny story: at lunch, La asked Brett why/how my eyes were brown! She had assumed that all farong’s (foreigners) eyes were blue like his are and was shocked to find out that Americans often have brown, green, hazel and even gray eyes! Funny the assumptions/stereotypes we have about people from other cultures. : )

3 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am so glad you had a restful and fun day, especially since it sounds like you've had quite a busy week! I'm sure you will discover many reasons why the Lord has you where He does. It will be an exciting journey, even if it is also scary, lonely, frustrating, and everything else.

PLEASE keep posting . . . and long posts are wonderful! I check often to see if you have written, and look forward to new peeks into your adventures. Because I (we?) love you, we are eager to hear more! I'm praying for you. Lisa

 
At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine....I love reading your posts. I thoroughly enjoy keeping Abigail up-to-date as well. She will ask me to look at your post and we will sit together and I will read some of it to her. We were so excited to see your blog updated. Abbey wants a homeschool blog of her own :). Maybe we can do that. We love you and enjoy reading about your adventures and insight! I can't wait to see what God has planned for you.

 
At 1:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine,

the more you blog, the better we know how to pray.

Diane and I prayed for you this morning as we walked so i was glad to see your new posts last night and to be able to share that with Diane.

Keep blogging!

love, helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home