Sunday, January 14, 2007

roommate - part two

I wrote the last post around noon of yesterday, but as the day progressed, I got less and less enthusiastic about having a gecko around. At first I thought Sam had left, as I hadn't seen him most of the afternoon, but in the evening I saw him crawling around again. While I was on the phone with my family, my eyes followed his movements back and forth along the walls and I could feel my body tensing up, especially when I saw him crawling on the ceiling right above my bed. I wondered how I was ever going to fall asleep.

While I was watching, I shared with Dad and Meghan about my new roommate. Dad's reaction: "That's great!! God answered your prayers and provided you with a solution to your mosquito problems!" At first I just sat there wondering at his positive attitude. "This is God's provision?" I thought skeptically. (And even deeper down: "I wish He had provided for my needs in a different way.") But it's amazing how one comment can completely change your view on things. My Dad always seems to be able to point me to God's providence. As I sat there the next several minutes and continued watching Sam, he seemed to change from being merely a slimy lizard to being my fearless little defender on a mission from my loving Heavenly Father. He acted as if he had been given strict orders to keep me from harm as he very intently made the rounds along my the tops of my walls, pausing only every now and again to look around for "danger" (or perhaps in his case, food. : ) By the time I went to bed, I almost felt safer knowing he was there and knowing that God cared enough for me to send this little gecko my way.

And I slept soundly all night.

4 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a cute story! It's funny how sometimes we just love letting God meet our needs, and sometimes He has to drag us into accepting it, even as we kick and scream. (Or in your case, eyeing it suspiciously.) Glad you have a new friend. Hope he fares better than the fish.

 
At 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I prayed for your mosquito problem I never pictured a gecko named Sam as the answer (or any OTHER gecko, for that matter)!!!!!! I guess I might not find it QUITE as funny if it were MY bedroom that had a gecko! Now ... I'm just wondering ... how did you know his name is Sam???
Go to http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/style/comics/king.htm?name=Dennis_The_Menace&date=20070113 and look for the Dennis the Menace from Jan 13 (2007). I think you'll enjoy it!
Lisa's post makes me wonder if something bad happened to the fish???? I'm not sure how you treat a gecko with TLC!

Leslie

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw. So I guess you could make a TV star out of him and have a Thailand Gieco gecko. He He...I guess I found my funnies! <. .>
O

Well see he is going to be your best friend and you are going to love him and take care of him forever!

*GASP* what happened to the fishies ?!? Is the little fishies ok? *GASP*

Ok...the funnies are back!
Love ya,
Rachel

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh no it messed up my smilie!
<. .>
__0__

 

Post a Comment

<< Home