Sunday, April 22, 2007

In answer to my prayers!

A few weeks ago I mentioned that God has been working in some of the students hearts through the music we sing in chapel. I am quite overwhelmed right now by the things that are happening and hopefully will happen on that end - I just had to share!

I have actually only been leading music for the upper Elementary chapels (3rd-5th grades; two other teachers wanted to lead it for the younger students) and I share role that with Scott, one of the 5th grade teachers. We do it a little differently than the way I led at Pinewood's younger chapels (for many reasons) but one thing I've been able to introduce to the students here are the songs from Sovereign Grace Ministries' Awesome God CD. We used most of the songs from this CD last year at Pinewood when we taught on the attributes of God. This is one of the richest collections of children's music I've ever heard: each song takes a different attribute and explains it in ways everyone (even young children) can understand. The music is also great. In short, I love it and so does just about everyone I've introduced it to! : ) The thing that excites me most, though, is that these great truths of the gospel are filling all of our heads. If God brings them to the children's minds 1/2 as much as He has to my mind, they will be regularly comforted by the gospel and who He is!

But back to ICS specifically... A few months ago, Shawna (another 5th grade teacher and friend of mine) approached me, asking where she could get a copy of the music we've been singing in chapel. She told me that one of her students really loved the music and wrote about it on her "chapel response sheet" after every chapel. Shawna had told me before the she had become a Christian herself by listening to recordings of worship music and she told me that she saw that same heart in this student. When Shawna said that she thought this girl would probably come to Christ through music, I told I'd get her a copy of the CD. I quickly downloaded it from itunes, burned a CD and gave it to her.

Later I heard another testimony from Scott: he had a student tell him at the beginning of the year that he and his family loved reading the Bible. Scott, surprised, said, “I didn’t know your family were Christians!” The boy replied, “We’re not, but we love reading the Bible because it is true. It’s just so hard to understand!” It turns out that this ESL student was reading an old King James version of the Bible, so Scott quickly got him another simpler translation for his family to read. A few months later, the boy again approached Scott, saying that he really liked the songs we’d been singing in chapel. Scott let him borrow a copy of “Awesome God” to listen to at home. Just recently the boy and his mother came to school saying, “Mr. Scott, we’ve got to talk to you! We want to become Christians!”

As these teachers were sharing these stories with me, I wished so much that somehow all the upper Elementary students had the opportunity to listen to this music at home. The wheels in my head started turning, trying to think of how I could possibly buy (or raise support to buy) enough CDs for the students (there are a LOT!) and I began praying that God might make that possible. A few days later I discussed it with my Dad, thinking that perhaps I could write a letter to the music ministry at Pinewood asking if anyone might want to give to the students in this way. Dad gave his approval, but suggested I first write Sovereign Grace to see if they might be willing to give a discount for buying CDs in bulk or might be willing to donate a few CDs. He also strongly encouraged me to share with them all that God is doing through their music.
I had never done anything like that before and was a little intimidated (Bob Kauflin, the head of the music team at Sovereign Grace and the composer/author of so much of the music they've put out is the equivalent of a movie star to me in terms of how I revere Him!), but after more prayer, I did write to him sharing the many ways God has used his music in my life personally, as well as what He has been doing in the students' lives.

I was amazed when, not 2 days later, he wrote me back, asking how many CDs we needed and telling me he would see what they could do. After several emails back and forth, I received one last Friday saying that 60 CDs were on their way to Dad, who will bring them with him when he comes in May with the team from Pinewood. I was so overwhelmed that I started crying after I read it! Overwhelmed by his generosity; overwhelmed with hopes and dreams of how God may further use this music in the students' lives and families as it is played in their homes and becomes written on their minds. Praise God for the great things He has done!

The following is one song from Awesome God that has been on my mind (and playing on my ipod) so much the last few weeks while I've been praying about this:

Have You Heard?

Have you heard about Jesus? Do you know who He is?
He's the very Son of God, He's the King of Kings.
Have you heard of the gospel? Do you know what it is?
It tells us Jesus died for us to save us from our sins.

(Chorus) This is the best news that we could ever hear;
More than amazing, it drives out every fear.
By trusting in Jesus Christ and His saving sacrifice
We can be made new, we can be made new.

Have you heard of the promise God has made to us all?
That if we turn from our sinful ways and put our faith in His love.
He will freely forgive us, He will wash us clean
And when we stand before His throne He will shout, "Welcome in!"

5 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh Catherine! I am just so thrilled for you! Isn't it funny how we expect God to answer our prayers and meet our needs, but then when He does? We're surprised!!! I had tears in my eyes at the testimonies you shared and am praying they will be used by God to encourage your heart and comfort you there so far away. Know you are loved and missed.
Oh yeah . . . and definitely prayed for!

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you are being encouraged by God's work. We miss u and love u! I am So happy to hear that your/our prayers have been answered. I <3 u! :)
~Rachel~

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The box has arrived!!!!!! :)

Leslie

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger raddyroo said...

look @ this...i have a blog now too! :)

 
At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine,

Well, since you got another family boost, now you can finish out the year with a bang!

I know that you are doing a wonderful job in BKK and the Lord is really blessing you despite your loneliness and the many adjustments of being so far away from home.

Keep looking up.

helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home