Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Interesting day

Today I learned that being sick is probably 10 times more bearable in air conditioning than in heat!

Last night the air conditioner unit in my lovely new apartment stopped working right before bed. I was super tired, so I just glanced at couple things before determining that it was beyond my know-how to figure out what was wrong. I turned on my little floor fan and went to sleep thinking, "Thais live without AC all the time, surely I can for at least a night." Well, I'm not Thai. At some point in the middle of the night I contracted a terrible headache and I woke up to my alarm feeling super nauseas. I took some medicine and planned to go to school as usual, maybe just a few minutes late (my first class was canceled today anyway). Long story short, I never went to school because I never felt better. I spent the entire morning and early afternoon lying on my bed with the fan blowing directly on me, sleeping in between quick runs to the bathroom which I was sure would result in vomiting (only 3 did). I can't figure out if the heat actually caused the headache or not, but my headaches rarely last that long, so I'm going to assume that laying around in a 95+ degree apartment did not help matters much.

In the midst of this, I called my landlord to get the air conditioning fixed. Between today and yesterday's 3-hour process of calling her and several other Thais who I couldn't understand to get the internet in my apartment set up (talk about a "cultural moment"! In fact, the headache could have been the result of all that built up stress and frustration!) I've gotten a lot of experience calling her recently! She sent a technician to come and work on it this afternoon. Praise the Lord: within an hour or so, he had it fixed and I am already beginning to feel a little better. Wow - so many things I've never had to do by myself before! Makes me miss my Dad and wish I didn't have to be an adult and on my own now. : (

2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are starting to feel better. And is your email hooked up or did you do this at school?

helen

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are feeling better. Being an adult is hard isn't it? If you need anything you can always call or write me. Hugs. I know it's hard to do things yourself. I definitely have 10 years of experience there! I think this whole move has been quite an experience for you and that you've grown up so much since you've been in Bangkok. I'm sorry you had some misfortunes while in the learning process. But I'm thankful to God that He always provides for His children. And I do know that first hand. ;) May you keep remembering God as our loving Father and our Provider.
Love you. I'll be praying!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home