Saturday, October 13, 2007

International Night 2008

I have about decided that "International Night" is my favorite ICS event. I just got back from the show and dinner and it was so much fun! It's always so cool to see the students in their national, traditional dress and to learn more about their culture. And I'm always blown away by the talent of our students! In my opinion, it's as good (if not better) as some of the tourist Thai cultural shows I've been to. There was some incredible dancing, singing and music-making tonight! My favorite dances, costumes and food are still Indian, I think, although the Taiwanese "Kung fu" demonstration was pretty inspiring (makes me want to sign up for martial arts classes!), as were the Korean percussion ensemble and the Taiwanese and Chinese dances. There were a few more countries represented this year, with slide shows and national anthems sung from Canada, New Zealand and the Phillipines, but sadly the US was probably the least well done, with only an attempt at "God Bless the USA" (and our food table was again almost all desserts; no wonder Americans weigh so much more than Asians! Sigh...)

This year was doubly fun because Tang, my Thai friend (and MTW intern) came with me for the evening. It was fun to introduce her to my students and see her reaction to all of the acts. She obviously had a deeper appreciation for what it took to put together the Thai dances, but interestingly enough, her favorite acts and food seemed to be from Korea. She ate very little Thai food and went straight for the sushi and kimchi! Having her there was a treat. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home