Monday, August 27, 2007

Praying "Big"

God is so amazing. He has answered a "big" prayer that I decided to start praying last week in a way that exceeded my expectations and hopes. Even though I didn't even ask you, my readers, to pray for it, I wanted you to share in the joy of the answer and in the wonder of our great God!

For the past 8 months or so, ever since the hiring process at ICS began for this 2007-2008 year, the school has been struggling to find teachers. God provided for many positions, but there were so many to be filled this year that we continued to be in need, even at the start of orientation on August 1st. A few of the positions had been filled originally, but setback after setback occurred as teachers who had originally committed to coming did not follow-through. All last spring we prayed - many fasted for these positions. This August, upon our return, we prayed even harder, bewildered at what God was doing. Didn't He hear own prayers? Surely He knows our need - why would He not provide qualified, kingdom-seeking Christians to come and teach in Bangkok? Our administrators have been stressed, to say the least, and working overtime, interviewing and trying to contact even more interviewees. School started and we began with subs in several of the Middle and High School positions, with other teachers' schedules rearranged to take on extra classes to make it work. We continued to pray - alone, in small groups, as a faculty.

Last week, after talking with one of the MS subs, I discovered that she would not be able to stay longer than two more weeks. The next day I found out that the other MS sub also had a two-week or so deadline. So I decided to start praying more specifically: that God would bring two new teachers for those positions to Bangkok within two weeks. Impossible-sounding, I know - especially in consideration of the fact that the process would involve not only actually finding, interviewing and hiring two teachers, but both of them being able to pick up and move overseas (most likely) in the space of two weeks. I almost didn't want to pray it, because I was afraid of being disappointed. But I kept thinking of Jeremiah 32:17: "Ah, Sovereign Lord, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too difficult for You!"

That was last Wednesday. On Thursday I prayed that prayer with some other teachers who sounded surprised that I would even ask such a big thing. First thing this morning (Monday) I got an email from our MS principal. She said that the school just hired a "teaching couple" - a husband and wife whose qualifications fit our exact MS needs! Not only that, but this couple had taught for many years in Thailand several years ago at a different school, then went to Korea and were just now finishing their teaching assignment there and visiting family in Canada. They will be able to be in Bangkok and at work next week!! I could hardly believe what I was reading! Both needs, both prayers, answered in one moment - in a way that was clearly ordained by God long ago. He knew - as I had suspected ; ) - His plan to fill those positions for years and waited until we were ready, when He would be most glorified, to let us know. I am blown away!!

4 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Katherine - You already sound so much happier than last year. Congratulations on getting through that adjustment time. The hard part is over! Now you can more fully enjoy the wonders of life in BKK. Eat some gai yang and sticky rice for me this week!

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! :] I'm glad everything worked out! :]
Love,
~Rachel~

 
At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The surprise is never in that God could do something, but in that we often try to fit God into our thinking and capabilities. I too often forget this is the same God who spoke and created the universe. JEHOVAH-JIREH!

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always a believer in big prayers! I knew what God can do in my life and I'm so glad He's been showing it to you in your life. Don't ever forget these wonderful works during other trials. God goes all out for His children. It's always first class when we lean on Him. I'm so happy for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home