Sunday, March 02, 2008

"Best of Catherine"

My 6th and 7th Grade classes are working on a piece called "Best of Beethoven" - a very simplified arrangement of three of Beethoven's most famous melodies. Today I let 6th Grade listen to a recording of part of Beethoven's 5th symphony so they could hear how it's supposed to sound (we have a LONG way to go!!). Then I ended up sharing a mini-biography of Beethoven - including all of the random facts I learned from my co-operating teacher during my internship. After class one of my students, Earth, came up to me and said that I need to write "notes" (a piece/song) for the class to play and then call it "Best of Catherine"!

Same class (which is getting nuttier and nuttier but is oh so fun!): I gave the students a "surprise" this week - those involved in our school musical (who will be in rehearsals for over 16 hours this week! I'm in the pit orchestra too - pray for us!) got an exemption from practicing this week. They were thrilled and relieved. Boss immediately said, "Miss Catherine, you're beautiful!" : ) (Now what not giving homework has to do with being beautiful, I'm not sure!)

On a more serious note, one student told me (at least I think he being serious!): "Thank you for leaving America to come all the way here to teach us." One of those moments that makes it all seem worthwhile!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home