Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kanchanaburi

This past Monday, the Ministry of Education in Thailand declared a school holiday for the purpose of encouraging people to vote on the draft of the new constitution. Since we didn't have school, a few of my girl-friends and I seized the opportunity to get out of town, traveling to the little town/city of Kanchanaburi, which is a couple hours west of Bangkok (actually the same place where the English camp was held when the Pinewood team came in May - except at that time we stayed at a resort a little bit outside of the city). Two of my friends had discovered a cheap but really nice little guesthouse there last year and ended up staying there about 3 times over the course of the year. Set right on the "River Kwai", it was a beautiful, cool place to stay and rest. My friend Jaime described it as delightful; Kim's word was "money." : ) I agree with both. It was definitely a treat!

So what did we do? Almost nothing but rest! The guesthouse had a open restaurant (kind of like on a covered deck) that overlooked the river with low tables and Thai cushions to lounge on. We arrived on Saturday mid-day, ate lunch, then read books at the restaurant until we fell asleep. Upon waking we read more, talking at intervals while sipping on mango lassies or other fruit drinks. Later we went on a walk around town and ended the day with facials and massages.

[While reading over this before clicking the "publish post" button, the thought occured to me how insanely crazy it is that I'm able to enjoy all these things and even be here! 3 years ago I probably wouldn't in my wildest imagination have pictured teaching overseas like this. As Joanna said - somewhat bitterly : ) - "I'm really suffering for the Lord here in Thailand!" Not that everything here is this easy, but it is a blessing.]

Sunday was also wonderful. We all rented bikes (for $1 a day!) and went riding around the countryside - right through the most beautiful green farmland and fields while gazing at the mountains surrounding them. It all reminded me of the bike rides I used to go on in Huntsville through Jones Valley, looking up at Monte Sano or Green Mountain - except everything had a tropical and Asian feel to it. Even the cows looked Asian! : ) It was so wonderful to breathe in that fresh air and take in such beauty while riding!

Also a blessing was the rich fellowship I was able to share with my friends. God has provided community for me ever since my arrival in Thailand a year ago, but I feel like more recently I've been develop those friendships on a deeper level. Each of the girls I went on this trip with (Kristi, Jaime and Kim) are so beautiful and amazing! They all love Jesus so much, have a heart for the nations that really challenges me. And they are so open and honest - very real - so much so that talking to them about just about anything ends up leaving me with a greater appreciation for the gospel. Not to mention the fact that they are very funny, love to travel and share many other common interests we me. I feel so blessed and loved by God!

4 Comments:

At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Catherine,

You made my mouth water for one of those fruit drinks. There is nothing quite like it over here in the USA.

thank you for sharing.

helen

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Catherine!

I love Mangos! They are so good. Have you ever tried a fresh mango fruit? What is a lassie?

I'm glad you had a good time and plenty of rest!

When anything is done by God, we get first class service. It's wonderful to know that He can spoil His children! =)

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad you had a chance to relax and rest! :]
~Rachel~

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm catching up on posts (don't ask, it's been a hectic couple of months!), and am trying to wrap my brain around how a cow can look asian. Hmmm . . . maybe I'll have AJ draw me one of those . . . .

Glad you are experiencing such contentment and blessing! Love you my friend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home