Friday, August 03, 2007

Distance of Power

This afternoon I had a most fascinating conversation with one of my good friends and prayer partners at ICS - the kind of conversation during which I wished I had been taking notes! Kristi has been going to grad school over the last couple of summers through a program offered here sort of at/through the school and is now starting her thesis. Her thesis concerns cultural impacts on students' motivation (intrinsic/extrinsic) and our conversation started there but branched off to many cultural differences between Asian countries (Thailand specifically) and Western countries (America) that she discussed in various classes this summer and that we both have observed. I hesitate to even write about these things because I didn't take notes (much less the class!), but I found one thing we talked about very interesting, especially after having a direct application of it a few hours later...

"Distance of Power" she said is one of the 4 marks/distinctions of a culture (?! I forget the term she used!)(all 4 of which Thailand and American cultures are on opposite extremes - no WONDER we experience culture shock in coming here!!) - meaning the way or extent to which cultures view distinctions between people in different positions of authority or socio-economic status. In the US (many would disagree with me here, I'm sure) everyone is pretty much treated equally, no matter what their job, socio-economic status or race is. Not so in Thailand. And I feel it often.

This morning in one of our meetings, a teacher made the comment that we need to make sure we talk to and show appreciation for our Thai custodial staff. While our headmaster definitely agreed, he also pointed out that we need to be careful because sometimes it's actually more embarrassing for them than honoring because it's so out of the norm, unexpected and not Thai. As Americans, of course, it's our way of showing love and treating them "equally" but it may not come across as "love" to them.

I feel this "distance of power" most keenly on the bus. Riding the bus appears to be something only Thais do here based on the fact that I'm usually the only farong riding every time I get on - that and the fact that if I'm alone at the bus stop, I usually end up standing there for 15+ minutes trying to wave down bus after bus and only taxis end up stopping, but as soon as another Thai comes and stands beside me, the busses stop for him/her! Well, this evening I took the bus back to my apartment after doing a little errand running and the whole time I was on, I was watching carefully for my stop (a bit harder to see in the dark). I moved towards the door a little early, so as to be ready, but did not ring the bell. The entire time I was on the bus, I could sense the bus driver and fare-taker-upper (I have no idea what that person's title is! : ) watching out for me, along with several surrounding, well-meaning passengers. I don't know if it's because they're particularly kind or if I just look particularly clueless (probably a combination of both), but they seemed to want to make sure I got to where I needed to go. So as soon as I made a move for the door, the bus driver pulled over at the next stop and actually came to a complete stop (something they rarely to for fellow Thais). I felt embarrassed at the attention and sorry for the inconvenience I apparently caused by accidentally communicating that I wanted him to stop there. When I said "mai pen rai" and that I didn't want that stop, they asked where I wasgoing and made sure I got there safely, again coming to a complete stop at my soi.

I came away from that whole incident feeling bad, unduly honored and humbled at the same time. I feel like I'm on a different plane than most of the Thais around me and while at times the attention or special treatment is nice, I'm not sure that's what I want. And the American in me would go so far as to say that it's wrong and unjust and not the way things should be. But wait a minute - I was taught in all my "pre-field" culture shock training sessions that differences in culture are not wrong, but just that: different. How does God want me to view this difference?

A week later (I'm writing this in two sessions), I find that God has given some insight in answer to that question. I've been reading through the Westminster Confession during my quiet time the last few weeks and I got to Chapter 7 last Sunday: God's Covenant with Man. It starts out...

"The distance between God and the creature is so great that, even though rational creatures are responsible to obey Him as their Creator, yet they could never experience any enjoyment of Him as their blessing and reward except by way of some voluntary condescension on His part, which He has been pleased to express by way of covenant."

The distance between God and the creature...the distance of power. Wow. All of the sudden I saw it - what God is revealing to mankind through this facet of the Thai culture: the great distance between our Creator God and us. God's greatness and power and "unapproachableness" in contrast with my lowly, humble state makes so much sense here as I see the King of Thailand in all his grandeur and honor. Our God is not a "Mr. President" - a regular man like us who was chosen by the will of the people and will govern with many restrictions for a short term. Not that the King of Thailand has absolute power either, but he certainly was not chosen and before many of the younger generation were even alive, he was reigning. And unless God intervenes, one of his descendants will continue to reign after him. I know this is very basic and not at all exclusive to Thailand, but the "felt" honor and preference of certain people above others - even to the extent that certain ones don't feel worthy to be around or have a casual, friendship with certain others - gives me a picture of the distance between my King and me and shows me how presumptuous I am to assume I can casually waltz into His presence, acting like I belong there. Apart from His initiation of a covenant with me through His Son, I could never know Him at all. What a preparation for worship last Sunday!

2 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger trmills said...

Wow, Catherine, this is brilliant. How neat that God revealed this to you and that He's teaching you through something that is so touchy and challenging about daily life here.

It's going to be a good year!...

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home